A successful SEO strategy for an Ecommerce website

A list of 1,000 tips on SEO wouldn’t be enough to even focus on the things you should do and, most importantly, DON’T do, in order to increase your position in search engines. In 2013 there were 2.2 trillion Google searches, but 90% of the users clicked only on the first 3 results, so if your product is ranked last on your page you rely only on the rest 10% to find your site.

Optimize the product page.

This means using keywords but not to the extent where you end up overstuffing your content. Relevant product keywords in your headers and image alt tags should be enough to help your rankings.

Use friendly URLs.

The visitor doesn’t want to see a trillion characters, so, again, you should use the keyword you’re trying to rank for and very little of something else. Keep it clean and user friendly!

Make the most of user generated content.

This isn’t costing you anything and it also provides fresh and unique content for search engines. Add social media plugins and allow users to quickly review the products they just bought.

Avoid duplicate content.

Archives, tags, incorrect pagination and even basic products filtering generate duplicate content and drag your site down. Use your robots.txt and block them for being indexed, along with any other features that create duplicate content. Writing unique product description instead of using the one provided by the manufacturer is the smart way to go, as Google will set you apart from your competitors who use the same product text.

Keep pages with out of stock items.

Don’t delete these pages, especially if you rank high with them; instead, show related products or your newest collection.

Have a  well-thought-of internal linking system.

This will reduce your bounce rates as people have something to click on. Recent studies show that 69% of people base their browsing on these links. Don’t overcomplicate it, try to think from your visitor’s point of view. What would be relevant to him?

Link to other sites.

Despite random rumors you might have heard, linking won’t ruin your rankings. Instead, it will show the visitors that you want to provide helpful content and you don’t mind linking to those sources. This will paint you as genuine and reliable.

Use Analytics.

This is kinda of a no-brainer. You simply can’t afford to skip on using Analytics to have a deeper knowledge of everything that happens in your store. Don’t know where to start? Check this 10 Google Analytics tools guide that will help you keep track of everything that happens in your store.  Do you sell a lot to mobile users or most of your purchases are made from a desktop device?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.